Known as the Heart of Illinois, Peoria County lies on the west side of the Illinois River in halfway between Chicago, IL and St. Louis, MO. Known for having big city amenities in a small-town feel Peoria Country has 15 cities and villages for you to discover.
Peoria, the largest city on the Illinois River and in Peoria County is the hometown to Caterpillar Inc., and today, innovators like Autonomous Stuff are leading central Illinois into the future of automation. While the circumstances may change, the fierce spirit of Peoria endures. Peoria is packed with job opportunities, growing businesses and things to discover.
Peoria is packed with discoveries and things to do. The Peoria RiverFront Museum, Luthy Botanical Garden and The Shoppes at Grand Prairie are a few popular destinations in the area. When it comes to outdoor adventures, Spirit of Peoria offers exciting boat rides, and Peoria Zoo is the perfect place for families to spend their time. Peoria is also home to many parks great for hiking and adventuring such as Laura Bradley Park.
Located only fifteen miles north of Peoria is historic Chillicothe, where the rails cross the river. This town grew from its river traffic and ideal location for railroad transportation. The flourishing downtown business district is classic Main Street USA playing home to boutiques, restaurants, barbershops and the Town Theater.
Nestled on the west bluffs of the Illinois River is the picturesque village of Peoria Heights. President Theodore Roosevelt described his visit to the neighborhood of Grandview Drive as “the world’s most beautiful drive”. Offering scenic views of the mesmerizing Illinois River, this phrase still holds true to that statement over a century later. Grandview Drive is one of the most popular places in Peoria Heights and displays great beauty. The Heights Tower is another destination for a great view of the Peoria area.
Top 5 Peoria County Events to Attend
1) RiverFront Farmers' Market- The Peoria RiverFront Farmers' Market is the perfect place to buy fresh produce and shop from local vendors with friends and family.
2) Peoria Irish Fest- Peoria Irish Fest is a celebration of all things Irish and a fun event full of food, music and culture.
3) Peoria Art Guild Fine Art Fair- The Peoria Art Guild Fine Art Fair brings original art to Central Illinois.
4) Peoria Chiefs Games- Catch a Peoria Chiefs Baseball game at Dozer Park!
5) Betty Jayne Brimmer Performing Arts Events- Betty Jayne Brimmer Center for the Performing Arts in Peoria Heights has a number of events including bands, concerts, shows and more!